Sunday 13 April 2014

The awesomeness of Cape Town: Some highly recommended activities.

So at the end of March I took my first trip down to Cape Town. I say first but the truth is I was there when I was 5 and I don’t remember any of it, so basically my first trip. Now people kept asking me what I wanted to do down there and my standard answer was “I don’t know. I have no clue what’s there”. So I left my trip in the hands of friends and boyfriend and these are just a few of the amazing things that I got to do and I recommend you try.

One of first night there we went to a Mexican restaurant on Main road called El Burro (said in Spanish accent with raised intonation). Now if you have an allergy to hipsters I would say you should avoid it, but trust me, this place is worth putting up with the hipsters for. This is really authentic Mexican food and it is to die for. And don’t forget to try their tequila sours, they have a kick like El Burro itself.


Day 1
Gansbaai

On the first day in the beautiful Western Cape, we took a trip to Gansbaai to visit a friend. Now we didn’t do much in this part of the world but what I can tell you is that if you are looking to escape from the business of big cities then this coast line is perfect. Small town after small town along an incredibly beautiful stretch of coast. It’s quiet, charming and Gansbaai itself is known for shark diving so if you’re looking for a thrill and some peace and quiet then this piece of coast is awesome.



Day 2
V & A Waterfront
The Friday that we spent in Cape Town was Human Rights Day and the whole city had a great energy. I was taken to the V & A Waterfront and we had lunch at The Market on the Wharf. Again very hipster, but awesome food. I think the rule of thumb is if you want good food, follow the hipsters, they know where it is. The rest of the waterfront is beautiful but from what I hear, very pricy. The market is a happy medium because the food is great but a lot cheaper than the other restaurants.



Company Gardens

The next stop on our visit was Company Gardens and it was really busy but awesome. Cape Town has several stunning gardens and they’re really great for a chilled picnic. While you’re there I’d also recommend a visit to the museum, planetarium, Jewish Museum or the National Gallery.













Table Mountain

The last and best part of this day was Table Mountain. If you’re going to Cape Town, you HAVE TO DO THIS. It’s about R200 up and down in the cable cars which is a little expensive but it’s so worth it. Otherwise if you’re fit enough give any of the hacking trails a try. I’m not fit enough for that but if I am one day it is something I’ll do. Being on the mountain at sunset is something you have to experience, it’s breath taking. Just remember though that the last cable car down is at 7pm so be sure to catch it otherwise you’ve got to hick in the dark.













Day 3
Surfing in Muizenberg

Saturday in Cape Town was a real sea side adventure. We were spending the weekend with the wonderful Robyn Porteous, who is an avid surfer. So this meant only one thing, surfing in Muizenberg; the surfers’ corner. I’ve never surfed before and I wasn’t very good but I loved it and Muizenberg really is the best place for this. There are so many surf schools and places to rent wet suits and surf boards. Please do yourself a favour and give it a try!



The seaside adventure was finished off wish fish and chips from Fish Hoek Fisheries. Personally I thought it needed more salt, but you don’t get fish any fresher than this. And finally ice cream from a little place right on Muizenberg Bay. A perfect day!






Day 4
Tables at Natida

The last note worth part of our Cape Town trip, was a Sunday morning breakfast on a wine farm called Natida. There’s a little restaurant there, which is apparently famous for its breakfasts and it’s called Tables at Natida. Visiting a wine farm for a meal or a wine tasting is a great addition to any trip to the Western Cape because the wine estate country side is seriously beautiful.




If you are planning a trip to Cape Town for the first time and like me, you have no clue what to do down there, I would definitely recommend any of these things. There is so much to do and see and eat in the Cape that I promise you won’t find yourself short on adventures. I personally can’t wait to go back.

I would love to hear about your suggesting for more things to do in Cape Town.

No comments:

Post a Comment