Sunday 6 July 2014

Build your body confidence with Pole Dancing

Hey ladies, do you hate your body? Do you look at it in the mirror and cringe or cry? I have. I’ve hated my body for not being perfect. The strange thing is I’ve seen women that I think have perfect bodies, cringe over the way they look. So who’s defining this idea of the perfect body anyway?


The truth is, the perfect body is one that’s health, strong and fully able. Your stretch marks and love handles don’t change that fact. It’s taken me a LONG time to realise that.

You want to know what helped me get to that realisation. Pole dancing. Since I started in March 2013 I have lost weight and there’s now some muscle definition around my stomach and even my legs, but at the end of the day, I still have big hips and thighs and I’m still a size 14 and I’m still more or less the same weight on the scale as I was when I started (yes I probably have changed some fat for muscle, but still).

Yet, I find myself enjoying my body now, so what changed if my body hasn’t that much? It’s simple, my perception of my body has changed. Since I started doing pole dancing my body isn’t this wobbly gross thing. It’s now a strong and powerful dancing machine that can do things I never dreamed of doing.
Even the way I think of my hips and thighs has changed simply because I need them. There are certain moves which you’ll struggle more with if you don’t have a bit of hip, or thigh or bum to grip with. So those body parts you hate suddenly become useful.

I haven’t stopped noticing those parts of my body and wishing they were smaller and more toned and I still envy the way other women in my studio look in their pole short. But then something special happens, I do a move that they can’t, a move they want to be able to do and they envy me. That’s when I’m reminded that I’d rather have this body, with its strength than their beautiful lean bodies.

Pole dancing has given me a confidence to feel sexy and beautiful no matter what I’m wearing. I’ve seen women who are two, maybe three times bigger than me, strutting around in their pole shorts like a size 8 diva and you know what, they look amazing. It just goes to show you, it’s not how much you weight or even your shape that matters, it’s how you feel that matters. No one can really pinpoint what it is about pole that transforms your perception about your body but it really works wonders.

So change your perception and improve your body confidence with pole dancing. Trust me, you’ll never look back.



PS. I’d love to hear your stories on how pole has changed how you feel about your body so please share them in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment