Sunday 11 May 2014

Getting hooked on Aerial Hoops

So I’ve been pole dancing for about 1 year and 1 month (just over) but this Friday was the first time I tried aerial hoop/lyra.

I’m not going to lie to you.
It was awesome.

It’s very different to pole in that it requires less wrought iron strength. On a pole you’re always supporting your own weight in some way. On a hoop you always have something above or below you carrying your weight.

It’s a different kind of pain though. Because a Lyra is much thinner than any pole, it ‘bites’ into you more. You're also generally carrying the weight in your hands, elbows, backs of your knees or back. Because of this I’ve got rather blue legs.

If you do pole already and you want to try the lyra you won’t have too much trouble as the hardest part is inverting into the ring, after that, it’s all about balance.

Advanced pole is all about how strong you are, but advanced lyra is all about how flexible you are. So if you’re flexy then lyra might be right up your ally.

This was my first time ever in one and I found it quite easy to understand the balance and tension points that you need to create in order to hold moves. Here’s a little of me messing around on the lyra.
(they're not great photos cause they were taken on my old blackberry, which yes I still use)

































Well that’s a little about my first lyra experience J

No comments:

Post a Comment